What's New |
ADASS News |
Contributed IRAF Software
The majority of software written for IRAF has been written outside of the
core IRAF system. Much of this software comes from the major projects like
FTOOLS, etc., however the /contrib
directory of our
anonymous ftp archive
is available for all users who wish to distribute their IRAF-related
code or otherwise publicize a package or task they wish to make available.
Small programs or scripts can also be submitted to the
This is also where we distribute precompiled binaries for various external
packages not developed at NOAO by the IRAF
group. We suggest
that any contributed software include a "readme" file explaining what it is,
how to install it, and whom to contact for problems or updates.
We would like to offer this page as a link to any IRAF software developed by
users, as well as provide a comprehensive listing of what's currently
- Contrib directory Table of Contents
- Perl module that provides an object-orientated interface to
the IRAF CL interactive session, it is built on top of the Perl Expect
module. You can script almost anything through this module that you
can do in a normal interactive CL session. From Stephen Quinney,
(email@example.com) (Updated 08/13/2002)
- The Gemini IRAF package is used at the Gemini telescopes for the
purpose of assessing the data obtained. It is also planned that tasks
in the Gemini IRAF package can be incorporated in an observing program
using the Observing Tool. Further, the Gemini IRAF package may be
used for pipeline reduction of the data. The Gemini IRAF package is
currently under construction. See
package homepage for further details.
- This package contains several subpackages. One contains image
restoration related tasks including a multiple channel and photometric
variant of the Richardson Lucy method (cplucy). Another includes a
revised version of the Drizzle image combination engine (v1.41) and a
few supporting tasks. In addition a wholly new package ("impol") for
the reduction of polarimetric imaging from HST (and ground-based
instruments) is made available for the first time. Software for the
post-pipeline processing of HST NICMOS data, with particular emphasis
on the association and pre-processing of images to be used for grism
spectral extraction, and finally a general purpose grism spectral
extraction tool ("slitless") are also included.
- 'DIfference IMage PHOTometry Package' from Austin Tomaney at
UWashington. For complete details see the web page for the project
the package readme file
- IRAF startup scripts by Vassilis Charmandaris for starting the
CL, and Xgterm window and a display server. See his page describing
the scripts at
- SAOtng / ASSIST information
- Sparc binaries of Peter Stetson's DAOPHOT II pkg.
- Deep Infrared Mosaicing Software, Um... (Eisenhardt, et. al.) Version 1
- Deep Infrared Mosaicing Software, Um... (Eisenhardt, et. al.) Version 2
- Deep Infrared Mosaicing Software, Um... (Eisenhardt, et. al.) Version 3 (updated for V2.12)
- Reference data sets for EUVE spectrometers.
- Analysis software for data from the Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer.
Contributed by CEA at Berkeley, various versions and binaries.
- Fortran programs for determining the RAs and DECs of objects of
- Programs to filter fringe patterns from Pablo G. Ostrov. Uses
algorithms described in PASP 109, 338.
- FTOOLS V3.5 source distribution.
- Guide Star Catalog Data Retrieval Software for the IBM PC.
Developed by Oleg Smirnov and Oleg Malkov.
- Pixel by pixel quadratic fit to a set of images.
- IRAF V2.12 MacOSX package installer by Marcos Huerta (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- IRAF Help to Latex/HTML translator from Klaus Nielsen
- Maximum Entropy Method Package for image restoration.
Developed by Dr. Nailong Wu.
- Collection of utility tasks from Jeff Munn
- Photometry Analysis IRAF package including QDPHOT from Ken Mighell.
- Neural Network package from Dave Bazell (email@example.com)
(05/18/2001) Note: the 'nnpp.tar.gz' file is apparently corrupted and
as described. Please contact the STScI help desk (firstname.lastname@example.org)
or the author (email@example.com) for more information about this
- PHIIRS is a suite of IRAF tasks for the reduction of infrared
imaging data. It was spawned from original tasks by Doug Williams &
Anne Turner and includes many cannibalized parts from the DIMSUM
package of Mark Dickinson et al. PHAT is my suite of personal
miscellaneous IRAF tasks and their help files, including some tasks
for defringing and coadding optical CCD data. The readme file
contains a more detailed explanation of the contents. Contributd
by Pat Hall at the Univ. Toronto (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- PMTI is a set of programs for automated photometry and data reduction
by Dominic-Luc Webb. This package includes PMTI, which automates
background subtraction of PMT and CCD recordings using background
values saved in the first colomns of data files. There is also AUC,
which can take the PMTI corrected values and seek out deflections from
a baseline (calculated from a linear regression line) and calculates
area under curve(s). This is a pre-alpha release but all code works
as intended and compiles with gcc with no warnings or errors.
- PostScript graphics kernel from STSCI
- See ared files above - the quad package is included in the ared package
- Radial velocity analysis package from Doug Mink at SAO.
- CFHT library for imtool/iis display protocol. See also
- SAOimage V1.07 image display server sources, docs and binaries
- SAOtng information
- A new release of the astronomical calculator program.
- STSDAS V2.2 sources only. Binaries can be obtained from
- TABLES V2.2 sources and various platform binaries, other binaries
can be found at ftp://ftp.stsci.edu/pub/software/stsdas/tables_v2.2/binaries/.
- VMS tape copy program. The .bak extension is a VMS backup format
file, the .tar is a tar file.
- UISDISP package for VMS display w/ UIS Package description
- VICAR image decompression program.
- A VT100 emulator for Suns
- Xephem is an interactive astronomical ephemeris program for
X11R4/Motif 1.1 (or later) X Windows systems. It computes
lots of information about the planets and any solar system objects
for which orbital elements are available. A sample database of
some 16000+ objects in included in the release kit.
- X11IRAF V1.3 MacOSX package installer by Marcos Huerta (email@example.com).
- PROS V2.4 and V2.5 sources and various platform binaries.
- Xterm V2.1 for VMS 5.4 or higher running Motif in VMS BACKUP format.
Last updated: 01Jul1998